Friday, March 21, 2014

Cornerstone



Cornerstone - a stone that forms the base of a corner of a building, joining two walls.

From Wikipedia - The cornerstone (or foundation stone) concept is derived from the first stone set in the construction of a masonry foundation, important since all other stones will be set in reference to this stone, thus determining the position of the entire structure.

1 Peter 2: 6-8 says

it stands in Scripture:
“Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone,
a cornerstone chosen and precious,
and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”
So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe,
“The stone that the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone,”
and
“A stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense.”


Living in Haiti and the destruction of an earthquake, I saw the importance of a strong cornerstone. Without it the structure doesn't stand.  When the earth shakes, the building falls. 

Recently, Claudy and I's life was shaken.

 In the middle of the storm, I wasn't sure if I would be able to stand, if at the end of the storm our life would ever be the same again. It's during these times we see who our cornerstone is. Is it Christ, is it our spouse, is it ourselves, is it a thing, or is it another person?

Jesus...needs to be our Cornerstone. Without him as our cornerstone, our lives crumble.  

There were moments during the storm, I thought about every possible bad outcome. I wondered how I would make it. I wondered why this was happening to us. There were moments where I couldn't eat, sleep, or work, all I could do was think about the storm. When I final focused on my Cornerstone, Jesus, I was able to come up for air. I could breath again. I still wasn't sure of the outcome, but I knew Jesus would be glorified and that was all that mattered. I knew there was a purpose.

The storm is over now. While our life looks the same on the outside, I hope that we are forever changed by the storm. I hope we don't go back.


 

No comments :