Friday, June 6, 2014

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

It's that time of year in Minnesota...the garden is growing, flowers blooming, people walking, parks filled. I love it! 

There have been a lot of difficult transitions for us, moving back to the US and to Minnesota, but one thing I truly missed about my "homeland" is the summers and the fresh produce from the garden. 

If you are not from the Midwest or haven't visited, you many have never heard of Rhubarb. If you haven't, you are missing it out. It grows back every year, in the "spring" you can cut it back several of times and it will continue to regenerate itself. It looks kind of like "red celery" and has a sour taste. So far this year, we have enjoyed Rhubarb Pie and Rhubarb Muffins...I've heard the Rhubarb Slush is coming (seriously the best punch you will ever drink). 

This week, I decided to try a Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp. Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, is my favorite pie, but I was feeling lazy (and a lack of time) so thought I could try it as a Crisp. It didn't disappoint. (I apologize for the pictures, I'm not a good food blogger). 



Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
(Adapted from MEFC Cookbook)

3-4c. Rhubarb
3-4c. Strawberries
3 Tbsp. Flour
2 Eggs
Mix together and spread in a greased 9x13 glass dish. 



1 Stick Butter
1/2c.Brown Sugar
1 c. Flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. Quick Oats
Crumble together atop rhubarb mixture. 



Bake for 45 minutes and serve with cool-whip or ice-cream. 

Hope you enjoy! 


No comments :