Monday, July 21, 2014

Lia Marie - Birth Story

We are all home and snuggled in and adjusting to our new life as a family of three! I know many of you are wondering about her birth...her are the details. 

July 10th, Due Date...Had a check up and was not dilated at all. Made a plan with my doctor that he would check me again on Monday, July 14th. If I was dilated he would induce, if not we would have to wait until Wednesday for another check. 

Monday, July 14th: Not dilated at all, despite lots of contractions, but had high blood pressure. To the upstairs we went for a non-stress test. After 2 hours of testing, baby and I were fine, so they sent us home. We were told to come back Wednesday, July 16th to start cervidil. 

Wednesday, July 16th at 4pm we arrive at the hospital to have cervidil inserted. I know this is controversial to some, but family history indicated, that I would not dilate naturally, and most likely would need a C-section. 

From 4pm - 6pm, was having consistent contractions, so before cervidil was inserted, I was rechecked and still wasn't dilated. 

6pm - Cervidil Inserted and from 6pm- 8pm, I had to lay flat on my back...a very long 2 hours and painful. 

8pm: I was allowed to sit up and move around. I did a couple of laps around the hospital. My mom and sister-in-law visited with me to keep us company (thank you for that). 

July 17th @ 6am, Cerivdil was removed. I took a shower, I felt a gush (I assume it was my water breaking, but didn't know due to cervidil). Walked around the hospital a couple of times, got some coffee and waited for the doctor. 

July 17th @ 7:30, Dr. Checks and I am dilated 1cm. At this point I was super discouraged and assumed that I most likely would need a c-section by the end of the day. Dr. remained positive and decided to start Pitocin. 

9am - Liz (our awesome L&D nurse...trust me, I don't think I could have done the labor without her, she was so encouraging, supportive and calm, exactly what I needed) started my Pitocin. 

11am - I couldn't handle the pain any longer, I asked for my Epidural. Liz checked me and I was 4cm dilated (wohoo for progress). 

11:15 - My mom comes in (she works in the surgery department at the hospital) and tells me it's going to be about 15 min before Antithesis could come. 

11:30 - Epidural is inserted. Wohoo I can breath again. At this time, my sister-in-law joined us...she helped bring some needed distractions. 

12:00 - Dr. stops by to check me before he heads to lunch. I was 6cm dilated, but there was some concern because baby's heart rate was dropping during contractions.

12:30 - Started on Oxygen, again they are worried that she wasn't receiving the oxygen she needed. 

12:45 - Dr. Stops by again, due to concern she would need to come out right away. However, I was dilated to 9cm. Craziness arrives...nurses go into full mode, mom comes in. 

1:25 - I feel like I could push, so nurse checks me again and feels her head immediately. Dr. is called :) 

1:30 - Dr. arrives and I start pushing. 

1:48 - Lia Marie Francois enters the world measuring 21 3/4 inches long and 7lbs 10 ounces. 


Our first Family Picture


Getting Cleaned off


She's got some long toes :) 


In daddy's arms...


She got to meet Great-Grandma Zeltwanger




Meeting her cousin Abby



Claudy takes time to read to our visitors. 


Uncle Chad gets a chance to hold her


It's safe to say her Daddy Loves her. 


So does mommy!


We are headed home :) 



I missed some pictures...like with Grandma and Grandpa and with Auntie Kalee. 

Also a special thanks to Auntie Kalee for taking all of these special pictures and to help support us through the process. 




2 comments :

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing her birth story!! Glad you were able to have her naturally!!

Curious Runner said...

Congratulations you two, she is beautiful! And well done on the birth, awesome story! Good job!