Tuesday, February 3, 2015

{A Healthier You} - Rachel Legoute

I've been a Beachbody coach for a little over 3 months now. I've loved the changes it has helped me make, but one of the best parts is getting to see OTHER people transform their lives through health and fitness. 
I thought it would be neat to interview people has they have made changes! Their stories are so inspiring...I hope you are as inspired as I am!

Isn't her family beautiful!

Rachel and I become friends on Facebook, because of our connection to Haiti. She has a heart for others, for her community for Haiti, she is so ambitious and dedicated. About a month into my journey, she started asking me questions and it wasn't too long after and she was on board. Since Christmas, she has already seen some amazing results!

Now it's time to hear from Rachel!. 

1. What made you want to live a healthier life? 
I don't know that I've ever been an "un-healthy" person.  I've had some unhealthy habits in the past, and my weight has fluctuated in the past decade.  In the past 2 years I've had two pregnancies. I was a little leery of starting any type of diet that restricted calories-even a little-until my youngest daughter turned 1.  I wanted to preserve our nursing relationship.  Since I was pregnant through most of my first daughters infancy (my girls are just about 14 months apart in age) I struggled to make it to my desired 1 year mark of nursing my first daughter, and didn't want to do anything to jeopardize it with my second.  In both pregnancies I was borderline Gestational Diabetes, but since I have a general distaste for putting meds into my body, I worked VERY hard to eat well and maintain healthy levels of exercise, to give my organs the extra boost they needed to work right with all those crazy pregnancy hormones. My OB, who is amazing, mentioned to me once that the way our bodies handle pregnancy is usually a pretty good indication of what they will be like 30 years down the road.  For me, the desire to NOT have diabetes, or other health problems was another instigator.  As my daughter neared her first birthday, and I returned to work (where donuts show up on my desk ALL THE TIME) I knew it was time to make my move-and get moving!

2. What are some shifts you made in your life to help that healthier life-style? 
It used to be really easy for me to get to the gym.  I used to swim a mile+ a day 5-6 days a week, or hit the elliptical machine or treadmill.  I actually really like getting in a workout like that.  But, with two kids 2 and under, getting to the gym is not really in the cards for me.  My husband and I both work full time, and I have several other volunteer things that I do as well.  My husband knew that I wanted to make some changes, and he picked up some used equipment at garage sales, and hauled a relic of a TV down to our basement.  Now, each evening when I get home, I spend a few minutes with my kids, make dinner, eat with my family, and head to the basement for 20-50 minutes while my husband plays with the kids.  This is a HUGE change for our family. I've also started drinking my Shakeology shake every morning, and I have to say that I think that it is a key player in my recent success at finding a healthier me.  For the past 5 weeks, I have brought a salad to work for lunch...EVERY DAY.  I switch it up so it never gets old, and every day it seems more and more delicious!  I'm working on our diet at home as well.  We've always eaten pretty well at home, but I'm working on making sure the ingredients we're using are the healthiest choices, and really trying to pay attention to things like types of oils and sodium. 

3. Looking back, where are the areas you can see God worked the most in your heart? 
Honestly, I think that I'm happier.  I was feeling so sluggish, and my patience was a bit short. Ok, maybe more than a BIT short.  I was snapping at my husband and children for unfair things at times.  If you know me in real life, you know that my 1 year old daughter is a horrible sleeper...at almost 13 months old, we're still up with her 5+ times a night.  I was tired, and the junk I was putting in my body-because it was easy- was taking it's toll on our whole like.  I know that with the healthy diet I'm eating now, and the exercise, that I feel more whole and happy...and I believe that that is God working.  God has designed our physical, emotional, and spiritual sides to all work together...and when one part suffers, everything suffers.  This was true for me, and I could see how it was effecting everything around me.  I've felt more "myself" in the past couple weeks...and that is a huge blessing.  Restoration-Redemption! Yes!

4. Has your wardrobe changed? 
It's changing.  I can't wait for it to change more!  I just put on a skirt this morning that my mom got me for Christmas. I really like it...but it's getting too big.  :) I think in the next few weeks, I will really start to see some progression.  I have my jeans stacked in a drawer according to sizes, and I'm just going to work my way down through them!

5. How did getting healthier affect your marriage? 
Wow...well, I think the me being happier and feeling better piece is really effecting our marriage.  I think my husband sees me working hard for something, and he respects the effort I'm making.  I think we have to rely on each other a lot more too.  I actually asked him the other night if my working out in the evenings is working out ok for him.  He leaves for work before 5am, and doesn't get home sometimes until 12 hours later.  I know he's tired...he sleeps as little as I do. The fact that he's willing to get down on the ground and play with our crazy kiddos for the time it takes me to get downstairs and work out, actually means a lot to me as well!  

6. What are some healthy staples you keep around? 
Baby Carrots, Bell Peppers, Mozzarella String Cheese, Plain Greek Yogurt, Lettuce, Baby Spinach, onions, bananas, apples, oranges/clementines, berries (if they aren't expensive!), and grapes for the kids and hubby (they LOVE them), natural peanut butter/almond butter.

7. Do you have a set number of times you eat treats or do you just balance? 
I don't have a set number of times.  For me, the treat in eating is getting to do it with other people. So, I really try to save "treats" for when I'm going to a party, or out to dinner with family or friends.  Or Pizza with my kids! I don't do it often, and I don't let it happen too much back to back. And, I ALWAYS get back on track on Monday!

8. What is your favorite recipe you've made that is "healthy" 
I'm total rubbish at actually following a recipe!  I love to cook though, and I love putting things together to try and come up with something great! (My husband is not always quite as excited about my culinary ambition!) I think my favorite thing that I've come up with is the stuff pepper recipe.  I had some black rice and was really wanting to try it.  I browned some super lean ground beef, and then browned some tomato paste right into it in the skillet.  I added some onion and garlic-some sea salt and ground pepper.  While that was all browning I cooked up the black rice, and in another pot I cooked up some quinoa.  I added the smallest bit of water to the browning beef mixture and tossed in some ground clove and some allspice.  After the rice and quinoa were cooked, I mixed it all in with the beef mixture. Then I hollowed out some peppers(red, yellow, and green), blanched them in some hot water, and spooned the mixture into the peppers.  I added a little Parmesan cheese to the top.  Then I deglazed my pan from the beef with a little cooking sherry.  I let that cook down and drizzled it over the top. I put a bit of mozzarella on top and baked them in a covered pan for about 30 minutes at 350 Degrees.  They were AMAZING, and even my husband, who can be a bit of a choosy eater, liked them.  So did the babies!

9. What do your workout/fitness goals look like now? 
I'm really trying to focus on how many steps I'm getting in each day (Love my new pedometer).  Also, really focusing on how to get more activity into my day. I want that to be my focus more than "calories burned" or completing a program.  I think the programs and types of exercise are the vehicle for me to get more movement into my day.  I'm a quest to lose 30lbs.  (I'm almost halfway there!)...once I reach that goal, I'll re-evaluate and decide what the next goal is.  Also another workout/fitness goal is how to figure out how to integrate this activity and habit of movement into the lives of my girls.  And, I'd be lying if I didn't mention that I have my eye on some new Spring Trends in the Fashion world.

10. If you could give a word of encouragement to anyone just starting out, what would it be? 
Just do it.  Find a way.  In 4 weeks you will feel so much better. It won't always be easy.  It's easy to stick with something for a week, sometimes even two, but stick with it for 4 and you'll start to see some results, and those results will encourage you to take it even further.  Find someone who will help be your community of support, and if you can't find somebody, I'LL be your community. Believe me...you will feel better, and that's worth the extra effort!

Thank you Rachel for sharing! You are such an inspiration to me and to others!!

No comments :