Dear New Mom/Mom to Be -
I by no means have this mom thing figured out...in fact that is why I am writing to you today. I am not in expert; I'll let you in on a little secret, none of us are. Until about a month ago, I struggled with so much about being a mom. 95% of that is due to my expectations that I had on being a mother and about my expectations of babies. The other 5% is my natural instincts to achieve and have everything be ideal.
So here it is, my advice to you....
Let go of all of your expectations. Let go of the thought that you have to nurse, or you have to cloth diaper, or you have to feed your baby all organic food, or that you child can't have sugar, or that your baby should sleep through the night by a certain time, or sit up or walk by a certain time, that they can't watch movies, that they have to sleep into a crib until they are two, that they have to cry it out, that they can't cry, that they won't through fits, etc.
You get the gist. I had expectations about all of these things. I'll be honest and admit that none of them have happened they way I expected. It made me tired, weary, frustrated, and let done and instead of enjoying each phase, I let it get the best of me and my marriage struggled and I got angry at my adorable growing daughter.
The last month, I've been doing my best to let go of those expectations. Lia still doesn't sleep through every night, she sometimes sleeps in my bed, she is on a mattress on the floor, I sometimes set her in front of the i-pad/tv so I can get something done, she has thrown fits in stores, she's had timeouts/spankings, she drinks pop on occasion, she eats lots of popcorn, she eats rocks and sticks, ...BUT
Since I have learned to let go, I have more energy, I'm happier, my marriage is better and I've been enjoying my daughter more.
Don't get me wrong, I still have my moments (we all do), but I just wanted to let you know, it's ok. It's ok and at the end of the day, we are all doing our best and loving our children. Loving your child is what is important...not the expectations!
You can breath!